Go back to Frequently Asked Questions
Can I renew items if there are fines on my record?
You will not be able to renew items if you have fines of $20.00 or more.
Can I renew items that are late?
You may now renew items that are up to three days overdue. Any late fines will be charged to your account.
Can I renew videos and DVDs?
Video format materials may be renewed three times if there are no open holds on the title.
How do I renew items?
All items will automatically renew three days before they are overdue (up to three renewals if there are no reserves on the item). The new renewal due date will be the full loan period added to the original due date.
To renew online:
- Log in to your Library Account.
- Enter your library card number (no spaces) and your password.
- Click on the Items Out tab.
- Select Renew All Items or individually check the items you wish to renew and click on Renew Selected Items.
- Wait for the renewal response screen to confirm that your renewal was successful. Then click on the Back link to view your new due date(s). You may wish to mark down or print your new due date(s). It is your responsibility to renew and return materials on time.
To renew by phone:
- Call the automated renewal line 301-333-3111 and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your library card number and password during the process.
- If the renewal is successful, a new due date will be indicated by the renewal operator. You may wish to mark down your new due date(s). It is your responsibility to renew and return materials on time.
- The automated renewal line is available 24 hours a day, except between 7:00 am and 7:30 am.
To renew by mobile app:
Download the PGCMLS app to your mobile device for iOS and Android.
To renew at self-checkout stations:
- Scan or enter your library card number and password.
- Scan the items and follow the prompts.
To renew with staff assistance:
Call or visit a library branch. Please have your library card or Photo ID handy.
How many times can I renew an item?
|Books, Audio books, Magazines & Music CDs
|Educational DVDs & Television Series
|Marina Interlibrary Loan Items
|Interlibrary Loan Items (ILL)
*Items with an open hold request on the title cannot be renewed regardless of number of renewals normally allowed.
How will I know when my renewed items are due?
- If your renewal is successful through the Phone In Renewal System, the new due date(s) will be indicated by the renewal operator.
- When you renew materials online or with the mobile app, a confirmation will appear and the new date(s) will show on the items out screen (or My Bookshelf in the app).
- Please be sure to mark down your new due date(s).
- You can check the due date of items by logging into your Library Account.
Why can’t I renew?
The following conditions block renewals:
- The item has reached its renewal limit.
- Another customer has requested the title.
- Your library card has expired.
- More than $20 is owed on your library account.
- Two or more items are overdue on your library account.
- An item is over 45 days overdue on your library account.
- Your library account is in Collections.
- There is a block on the library account, which is often due to notifications being returned as undeliverable.